QUAD BIKE FIRE
A new quad bike was met with fire in this case, which took place on a large property.
The quad bike was at the insured’s’ father’s property and was fairly new. The father used the quad bike to run some errands on the large property, and unfortunately the fire occurred fairly quickly after he began his ride.
The man drove the quad bike through a paddock with very high grass. There was no dedicated pathway to drive through in this paddock, so the man drove amongst the grass, which was higher than the bike itself.
The type of quad bike the insured had purchased had one key difference to his previous bikes: it did not have a guard at the front suitable for resisting grass. As the man drove, the grass seeds became trapped all around the quad bike, and as the motor increased in temperature so did the grass seeds. This resulted in the quad bike causing a fire.
The results of the analysis returned positive for an ignitable liquid for petrol. Now, one would think that it would be normal to locate petrol under the hood of a car! Unfortunately, this car had a diesel engine in it...